5562While we're talking about gaps and roads...

    Mar 3, 2009
      Hi folks,
      While we're talking about gaps and roads I have a question for you all. Below is Carman's description of the road net north of Turner's Gap. I have posted questions after it.

      At the summit of Turner's Gap and 80 yards east of the Mountain House, a road branches from the National road and runs in a norheasterly direction along the southeast slope of the "north ridge"; at the distance of nearly a mile it inclines to the right, passes down a gorge, dividing the "south spur" from the eastern part of the 'north ridge" and curving around to the right, at the hamlet of Frosttown, goes south by the Mt. Tabor church, and enters the National road at Bolivar, at the eastern foot of the mountain, two miles east of where it leaves the summit, near the Mountain House. This is the old Hagerstown road. There are other roads branching from this and leading over the mountain;

      It is my impression that Old Hagerstown Road left the National Road at Catoctin Creek west of Middletown. It is Mt. tabor Church that connects to Bolivar, isn't it? Anyone with old maps, can you confirm this? Also, the description of what is now the Dahlgren Road re-entering the National Road at the chapel seems wrong to me. I thought the Old Hag Rd went through Frosttown Gap and down through Zittlestown. Again, anyone with an old map, what does it show?
      Thanks,