5540Hamburg Passes?

    Feb 28, 2009
      Hamburg was a village in Maryland north of Frederick on top of the
      Catoctin Mountains through which a road ran. ("OR Atlas" 27, 1)
      Carman on p. 175 says that Hamburg Pass is there while Harsh (and
      Ripley) say it is about three miles north of Turner's Pass through
      South Mountain.

      One officer in the 9th Virginia Cavalry, one of F. Lee's regiments,
      commented that "Hamburg was a rude and scattering village on the
      crest of the mountain, where the manufacture of brandy seemed to be
      the chief employment of the villagers, and at the early hour of our
      passage through the place, both the men and women gave proof that
      they were free imbibers of the product of their stills. It was not
      easy to find a sober inhabitant of either sex," Beale, "A Lieutenant
      Of Cavalry in Lee's Army."

      Harsh discussed Hamburg Pass, "Flood," 248, 257. Did Harsh (or
      Carman) confuse the Hamburg Pass in the Catoctin Mountains for a pass
      in South Mountain. See Brig. Gen. Ripley's report using "Hamburg
      Pass" for the pass north of Boonsboro in South Mountain: "OR," vol.
      19, pt. 1, 1031.

      What seems to be certain that there was then (just a few foundations
      remain) a place called Hamburg on Catoctin Mountain through which a
      road traversed the mountain. It is also certain that there was a pass
      some three miles north of Turner's Gap. Was Ripley and therefore
      Harsh using Ripley confused or was Carman wrong? Or did a road then
      run from Hamburg thru the pass in S. Mountain. It is possible that
      both passes had the same name but that seems very unlikely.

      Is the pass in S. Mountain three miles north of Turner's Gap the one
      through which Rt. 40 and I70 are located? Is this pass where the old
      stage road from Frederick to Hagerstown passed? IIRC Tom Clemens
      mentioned this. I assume that Fitz Lee's troopers used the pass in S.
      Mountain to get to Boonsboro after leaving Hamburg and I'd like to
      know its name.

      I appreciate any comments especially referring to sources. Has anyone
      been thru Hamburg?

      Larry F.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic