5477Re: Another mystery to solve

    Feb 16, 2009

      Perhaps folks who have access to the sources could let us know?

      It seems then that a section of Hart's Battery at least initially
      went with the JD Legion into Pleasant Valley--maybe the other 4 guns
      joined Martin later? Looks like someone has to go thru letters from
      Hart's Battery members.

      If the JD Legion had about 170 effectives, maybe a few pickets could
      have been far afield from their "HQ" at Solomon's Gap? If I am
      measuring correctly and properly locating Solomon's Gap, the straight
      line distance to the mouth of Antietam Creek is 4 miles. Is Solomon's
      Gap between BM 1519 and BM 1476 on Elk Ridge on the USGS Keedysville
      Quadrangle map?

      Larry F.

      > That's my thought, but thanks for the footnote refernces. Nothing
      easy to check, durn it. And worse, (for me) how did Carman know
      this? I'll check my files, but I don't think any of these guys
      wrote to the Battlefield Board, so how does he know? Double durn!
      > So maybe we're talking about a piece of the JD Legion and some of
      Hart's guns, although that is not what Carman said. It does seem to
      make sense though. Of course picketing from Solomon's Gap to the
      Potomac with "some" of a very small regiment is quite a feat, that is
      two miles or more. Pretty thin, don't you think?
      > Thanks.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic