537Re: [TalkAntietam] Harpers Ferry on endangered list

    Feb 27, 2002
      Andy,

      Tom might have answered your post already, but while the
      Sharpsburg area is more or less intact, the danger there is from
      possible development, as in housing developments.

      In the past decade or so, the growth of the Hagerstown area has
      spurred development all down the SR 65 and I-81 corridor.

      CWPT was able to save a very large chunk of ground over which
      Confederate troops advanced to the West Woods/Cornfield/Dunkard
      Church sector.

      Now needing to be preserved is important ground just adjacent to
      and behind the site of Lee's Headquarters area.

      SHAF, to which I also belong, is working with the NPS to help
      preserve other sites equally important to the battle and the
      campaign.

      Hope this helps.

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers