5343Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: The Orbats at Antietam

  • Dean Essig
    Feb 5, 2009
      Actually, that one is a myth. The fevered workings of one man's
      recollections years and years after the battle.

      None of the other figures allegedly directly involved in this episode
      mentioned anything about it in their reports (and Hood and Law were
      both very clear about going to the rear, getting some ammunition, and
      returning to the West Woods area later in the day... forming a
      straggler brigade of, what was the claim? 5,000 men (!) and parading
      in front of Lee so he could give them some stirring words would have
      warranted some mention.

      That's what my research into it showed.