5320Re: re Hospital site identification in CS Army

  • flagflop
    Feb 2 8:40 PM
      Gerry and T'other Dave,

      Check out two postings by Tom Martin (Piedmont Flag Company) on the
      Civil War Flags Message Board, his 8665 of 3 Dec and his follow-up,
      msg 8670 of 5 Dec 2008, the latter at http://history-sites.com/cgi-
      bin/bbs53x/cwflags/webbbs_config.pl?read=8670--- Per his extensive
      research, he points out all of the complications -- that red
      (probably from European precedent) had been specified in regs, and
      that yellow was the quarantine flag. He goes on to note variations in
      usage by area, time period, commanding general, military vs. civilian
      doctors, hospital organization vs. ambulance corps, and other facets.

      Dave Gaddy
      -----------------------------
      In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Dave <gewehr@...> wrote:

      > Gerry and Dave, the citations I found for the yellow flag were for
      > field hospital, and were very early in the war. I did find a
      citation
      > for a red flag on a ANV hospital ambulance. The quote I cited
      > previously, that any soldier would recognize the yellow flag as a
      > hospital, leads me to think that yellow was the normal flag color
      at
      > that time. But, it's only a guess. Since one of the quotes was
      from
      > Sumter, was the yellow flag standard for a field hospital in the
      pre-war
      > army, and later changed by both sides? Would a field hospital and
      > main hospital have different color flags?
      >
      > Maybe you could contact the folks at the Pry house. The gentleman
      in
      > there is very helpful and may have connections with the main ACW
      medical
      > museum. I spent an enjoyable hour picking his brain in October,
      but
      > never caught his name.
      >
      > Dave McGowan
      >
      > G E Mayers wrote:
      > >
      > > Dear Dave,
      > >
      > > Thanks for all the info. I do have a facsimile copy of the 1863
      > > revision of the "Regulations for the Army of the Confederate
      > > States" and was fairly sure the specific color was indeed red. I
      > > also have an electronic copy of the respective US Army
      > > Regulations.
      > >
      > > However, there is documentation the Union Army used a yellow
      > > rectangular flag with a large green H in the center. And, as you
      > > cite Phil Katcher (who is truly quite knowledgeable about the
      > > ANVa), that sounds pretty convincing to me.
      > >
      > > Would wonder if there were any General Orders from the War
      > > Department in Richmond, either via the Adjutant and Inspector
      > > General 's Office or the Medical Bureau modifying the stated
      > > regulations?
      > >
      > > I also have a copy of J. Boone Bartholmees's excellent work "Buff
      > > Facings and Gilt Buttons: Staff and Headquarters Operations in
      > > the Army of Northern Virginia: 1861-1865", which does state the A
      > > & IGO _did_ modify the regulations as published in the official
      > > regulations books by means of General Orders.
      > >
      > > Yr. Obt. Svt.
      > > G E "Gerry" Mayers

      > > the Almighty God. --Anonymous

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic