5318Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: re Hospital site identification in CS Army

  • Dave
    Feb 1, 2009
      Gerry and Dave, the citations I found for the yellow flag were for a
      field hospital, and were very early in the war. I did find a citation
      for a red flag on a ANV hospital ambulance. The quote I cited
      previously, that any soldier would recognize the yellow flag as a
      hospital, leads me to think that yellow was the normal flag color at
      that time. But, it's only a guess. Since one of the quotes was from
      Sumter, was the yellow flag standard for a field hospital in the pre-war
      army, and later changed by both sides? Would a field hospital and a
      main hospital have different color flags?

      Maybe you could contact the folks at the Pry house. The gentleman in
      there is very helpful and may have connections with the main ACW medical
      museum. I spent an enjoyable hour picking his brain in October, but
      never caught his name.

      Dave McGowan

      G E Mayers wrote:

      > Dear Dave,
      >
      > Thanks for all the info. I do have a facsimile copy of the 1863
      > revision of the "Regulations for the Army of the Confederate
      > States" and was fairly sure the specific color was indeed red. I
      > also have an electronic copy of the respective US Army
      > Regulations.
      >
      > However, there is documentation the Union Army used a yellow
      > rectangular flag with a large green H in the center. And, as you
      > cite Phil Katcher (who is truly quite knowledgeable about the
      > ANVa), that sounds pretty convincing to me.
      >
      > Would wonder if there were any General Orders from the War
      > Department in Richmond, either via the Adjutant and Inspector
      > General 's Office or the Medical Bureau modifying the stated
      > regulations?
      >
      > I also have a copy of J. Boone Bartholmees's excellent work "Buff
      > Facings and Gilt Buttons: Staff and Headquarters Operations in
      > the Army of Northern Virginia: 1861-1865", which does state the A
      > & IGO _did_ modify the regulations as published in the official
      > regulations books by means of General Orders.

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic