5317Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: re Hospital site identification in CS Army

    Feb 1, 2009
      Dear Dave,

      Thanks for all the info. I do have a facsimile copy of the 1863
      revision of the "Regulations for the Army of the Confederate
      States" and was fairly sure the specific color was indeed red. I
      also have an electronic copy of the respective US Army
      Regulations.

      However, there is documentation the Union Army used a yellow
      rectangular flag with a large green H in the center. And, as you
      cite Phil Katcher (who is truly quite knowledgeable about the
      ANVa), that sounds pretty convincing to me.

      Would wonder if there were any General Orders from the War
      Department in Richmond, either via the Adjutant and Inspector
      General 's Office or the Medical Bureau modifying the stated
      regulations?

      I also have a copy of J. Boone Bartholmees's excellent work "Buff
      Facings and Gilt Buttons: Staff and Headquarters Operations in
      the Army of Northern Virginia: 1861-1865", which does state the A
      & IGO _did_ modify the regulations as published in the official
      regulations books by means of General Orders.