5293Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: re Sorrel's wounding at Antietam and "Battery Longstre...

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Jan 9, 2009
      Mine too.

      I have a really great series of National tribune articles on Chickamauga
      that are priceless for examining how memory changes over time.

      I have 2-3 sets of articles, each series by the same author, written at
      about 10 year intervals. Basically, the same discussion would come up in the NT
      every decade or so (think really slow email group) which would prompt the same
      old guys to write new articles describing their experiences again.

      It's fascinating to read the changes in those stories each time - details
      evolve, things get more 'heroic' etc.

      in the case below, I would almost certainly note the discrepency in a
      footnote, with the understanding that it was written three decades after the fact.

      Dave

      In a message dated 1/9/2009 5:11:49 P.M. Central Standard Time,
      clemenst@... writes:

      The source of Priest's citation about Lee galloping up, apparently, is a
      letter from Bart Johnson writing on March 17, 1895 t oteh editor of Confederate
      Veteran. he says it is in the Lilley collection at the Washington County
      Library. I'll check it the nexttime I am there, but memory sources 32 years
      after the event set off my crap detector.