      From: 128thpa@...
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2009 12:42 PM
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] Brevet Brigadier General Hoffman - mystery solved!

      Hello all! I contacted Andy Waskie who was involved in getting the new marker for Gen Hoffman: Here is what he wrote me back.

      Re: Bvt. Brig. Gen J. William Hoffman
      Yes, I was the one who obtained his grave marker and we
      placed it and dedicated ca. 10 years ago, as were many other
      grave similarly marked over the years.
      I checked his application to the MEADE Post #1, GAR signed
      in his own hand and he spelled his name:
      J.W. Hoffman.
      Next time you come to the museum, I will show you the form.
      Andy

      So, it appears that the General signed his name with two f's.

      Paula