5258Re: [TalkAntietam] Brevet Brigadier General Hoffman

    Jan 2, 2009
      It is spelled Hofmann on all four Antietam war department tablets that
      bear his name. There used to be a marker at the corner of Rt. 65 and
      Mansfield Avenue that had his name as Hoffmann, but this is from a
      transcription and could be incorrect.

      Stephen Recker

      On Friday, January 2, 2009, at 02:36 PM, RoteBaron@... wrote:

      > One Antietam-related name that often varies in the spelling is J.
      > William Hoffman (Brevet Brigadier General). His tombstone has
      > "Hoffman", yet I see it often spelled Hofmann, Hoffmann, etc.
      > John Hoptak has a bio on Hoffman, which includes photo of the
      > tombstone:
      > http://48thpennsylvania.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2008-07-
      > 23T13%3A14%3A00-04%3A00&max-results=50
      >
      > In reading Dean Essig's documentation for his upcoming Antietam gam, I
      > noted he uses "Hofmann".
      > Tom Shay
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic