5232Re: re Kathleen Ernst book, Too Afraid to Cry

  • jeffcowvplanning
    Dec 16, 2008

      That is my experience too, as I have been researching my Middletown

      The most amazing thing to me is actually the long term effect of the
      war in the decades following. Of the various periods I am breaking
      my book into (prewar to 1861, 1-8/1862, 9-12/1862, 1863, 1864, 1865,
      and 1866-mid 20th century), to me the last is the most fascinating.

      Some things I have found include:

      Locals getting killed by plowing up unexploded ordinance on their
      farms (as late as 1932), and local kids finding weapons discarded
      after the battles with equally tragic results,

      Veterans of the battles in the area returning and rekindling long
      dormant acquaintances,

      Locals being invited to veterans reunions in other regions as
      recognition of their aiding the soldiers of those units in the local

      Middletown's very early Decoration Day observances (I believe the
      first was 1865). The local coverage of the reinterrment of the Union
      and Confederate dead from in and around Middletown to Antietam
      National and Washington Confederate Cemeteries....and the finding of
      missed remains when the cemetery site was excavated for a new school
      in the 1880s.

      And a turtle invited to a veterans' reunion. Yep. A turtle.

      As I wind down my research and am working on a manuscript, I am
      finding that I look forward to writing the post war chapter more than
      any other.

      I just need to set aside some time this winter to get the manuscript
      completed so I can start shopping the product.

      Steve Bockmiller
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic