5220Right State, Wrong Campaign

  • jeffcowvplanning
    Dec 2, 2008
      Happy Tuesday, folks.

      Question slightly off topic...the Monocacy Campaign.

      I am reading recently of a skirmish at George Blessing's Farm near
      Wolfsville...north of Middletown, in July, 1864.

      Blessing and his son or grandson held off attacks by CS Cavalry
      squads that were hunting for horseflesh. Apparently, they had
      several guns...sonny reloading while pap fired....They hit two of the
      Confederates....killing at least one of them.

      Apparently, Blessing received a rifle from the Lincoln Administration
      as a token of respect, and the Maryland Legislature entertained a
      motion to provide him with something (resolution, pension...can't
      remember what).

      Does anybody have any suggestions where I look to find which
      Confederate cavalry unit(s) were involved in this...especially
      possibly the identities of the two casualties?

      Any help would be appreciated.

      THanks.
      Steve Bockmiller
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic