5209Re: [TalkAntietam] Right flank retreat at Sunken Road

    Nov 30, 2008
      Good question. Pierro didn't find the source, and although I have not done a lot of digging yet, my suspicion is that it came from something like Confederate veteran or something like it. Perhaps a newspaper article. The only letter to the the Battlefield Board from G.B. Anderson's brigade that exists in the Carman papers is a map from an officer in the 14th NC. Because of their importance in the battle I cannot believe that the board only got one letter, but I suspect many of the letters have been scattered, or looted, after Carman died.

      I As an officer of the 4th North Carolina writes:
      "I think Featherston was started to the right, but instead of getting
      there came up behind us, where he was not needed, for we could have
      held our position indefinitely. He sustained great loss in killed and
      wounded and I have always thought was the cause of the line breaking,
      for when he found he was not needed there he gave an order to fall
      back, which was mistaken for a general order and all that could walk
      went back with him, which caused a general break in the line."

      Perfect. You can always cound on Carman. Now, the question is (calling
      Tom Clemens) who was the officer in the 4th NC who made those comments?
      Thanks.

      Stephen