5200Re: [TalkAntietam] Fw: Question regarding McElfresh Antietam maps

    Nov 30, 2008
      I was looking at the wrong spot. On the 1904 Cope map this and the
      house to the east against the creek are both labeled Newcomer. On the
      1895 Hotchkiss map there is no farm at either spot. On the 1904
      Heth/Sterns map the house to the west is D. Myers and the house by the
      creek is T. Myers. On the Gould map based on the 1860's Michler map,
      they are D. Myers and J. Myer respectively.

      I don't know anything about the Myers family, but Carman mentions them:
      "Two companies were sent to the left, beyond the Snavely buildings and
      were deployed behind the stone and rail fences of the road leading to
      Myers' Ford, and at the foot of a bluff, upon which was a large
      cornfield, in which Munford had his cavalry skirmishers, who advancing
      to the brow of the bluff, opened fire, and Eshleman's Louisiana
      battery, about 600 yards to the right and front dropped shrapnel among
      them."

      I don't think he mentions Keplinger. There were some Keplingers living
      in Benevola (Beaver Creek) back them.

      Stephen