5199Re: Fw: Question regarding McElfresh Antietam maps

  • Brian Richardson
    Nov 30, 2008
      The 1904 edition of the Carman/Cope maps show a small triangular plot
      with buildings in that area. It was bounded on the south by the
      Boonsboro Pike, the esat by the Sunken Road course, and the west by
      what looks like a farm lane that extends to the south to meet the
      Boonsboro Pike from where the Sunken Road angles to the southeast.
      It looks like the farm lane is bordered on both sides by post and
      rail faces. The plot was planted in corn and it labeled "Newcomer".
      That's in addition to the Newcomer farm on the west bank of Amtietam
      Creek.

      The 0830 map shows GB Anderson's brigade straddling the Boonsboro
      Pike just to the east of and generally parallel to the Sunken Road
      where it borders the triangular plot of land.

      Hope this helps.

      Brian Richardson