5185Re: Arms of the Union Cavalry

    Nov 20, 2008
      The Union did have a marked advantage in cavalry weaponry, especially
      in carbines. The Model 1859 Sharps Breechloading Carbine among others
      gave a noticeable advantage in firepower to troopers which could not
      be matched by their Southern counterparts. The Fifth and Sixth U. S.
      Cavalry, the Third, Fourth, Sixth, and Eighth Pennsylvania, and the
      Eighth Illinois, had Sharps Carbines; the Third Indiana had Gallagher
      carbines; the First Massachusetts had Sharps and Smith carbines; the
      First New York had Gallagher and Burnside carbines; and the Eighth
      New York had Sharps carbines after a first issue of the old Hall
      carbine.

      Sources: Frederick P. Todd, American Military Equipage, 1851-1872,
      Volume. II, State Forces, (published privately by M. P. Todd/Damerel,
      1983), hereafter cited as State, Pennsylvania units, 1137; Illinois,
      765; Indiana, 784; Massachusetts, 906; New York, 1044. During the
      Maryland Campaign, all of these units had pistols, mainly Colt army
      revolvers and sabers in addition to long arms except for the Third
      Indiana which had no pistols. Note that most companies of the Sixth
      Pennsylvania, Rush's Lancers, had lances until 1863 along with
      revolvers; twelve Sharps carbines were issued per company. For U. S.
      units, Frederick P. Todd, American Military Equipage, 1851-1872, Part
      I: The United States Army, (New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1980),
      372.

      Larry F.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Rob & Patti Erickson"
      <pattirobpatti@...> wrote:

      > Esteemed members, I am looking for information about which of the
      > Union cavalry units at Antietam were armed with carbines (in whole
      or
      > in part) and , if so, with which type(s):
      >
      > 8th IL Cavalry
      >
      > 12th IL Cavalry
      >
      > Schambach's IL Cavalry
      >
      > 3rd IN Cavalry