      From: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Thomas Clemens
      Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 3:54 PM
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Uniforms of the US Regulars at Antietam

      I do not recall ever seeing anything about this issue. You might find a copy
      of Tim Reese's book on U.S. Regulars to se if there is anything there. None
      of the US Regular officers that wrote to Carman mention uniforms of enlisted
      men. By regulation, they should be wearing frock coats and hats into battle,
      but since they had been in constant motion since going to the Peninsula in
      spring, I doubt they had much of that "finery" left. Much of the Fifth Corps
      had no knapsacks or eqipment with them in Maryland, so whatever they had
      when left DC is likely what they wore through the campaign.
      Hope this helps.

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      >>> "Rob & Patti Erickson" <pattirobpatti@
      <mailto:pattirobpatti%40comcast.net> comcast.net> 11/3/2008 4:31 PM >>>

      Esteemed memebers, what uniform would have been worn by the US Regulars
      at Antietam?

      Would the infantry have worn frock coats and Hardee hats, sack coats
      and forage caps, or a combination of styles/equipment?

      Thanks in advance for any information. Rob Erickson