      From: "Thomas Clemens" <clemenst@...>
      To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 11:25 PM
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Sept 18 Truce

      No offical truces. To ask for one would be seen as an admission
      of being beaten. Lee didn't want to do that. Same thing
      ahppened with Grant after the debacle at Cold Harbor.

      >>> Dave <gewehr@...> 10/06/08 5:08 PM >>>
      Thanks for all the responses to my questions about tactical
      movements.
      I will get Carman and just keep studying the maps.

      Thanks also to Brian for the Shepherdstown ford pictures and
      research.
      Excellent work.

      On the topic of O. Norton, I was reading one of his letters home
      where
      he said the truce of the 18th allowed the ANV time to pack up and
      prepare to escape. I also read this charge in another letter
      (soldierstudies.org). Harsh states that there was no official
      truce.
      Hancock writes in the OR that there was an unofficial truce made
      between
      the pickets that allowed some retrieval (presumably on both
      sides) and
      that Hancock had himself rejected a truce flag, and had even
      fired on
      and captured some ANV under a truce flag.

      Why would a truce be rejected? Were there any official truces at
      all on
      any parts of the field?

      Dave
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic