5126Re: Carman

  • James W. Durney
    Oct 4, 2008
      > Ok, then, can it be said by most that Priest is, in some cases,
      > unreliable as a guide to the tactical movements of the battle
      > How then does a newbie to studying this battle go about tracing
      > movements of brigades (and in some cases regiments) so that I can
      > them into my head? I mean, is there a reliable work, like Pfanz
      > Gettysburg, that spends a lot of time on actual battle movements?
      > Harsh, Murfin, Sears et.al. don't seem (to me) to offer the kind of
      > detail that Priest does. The campaign I have a grasp on, it's the
      > battle itself that is foggy.
      > That's also why I've been asking about the value of Carman.
      > Or, maybe I just need a battlefield guide for 3 hours in a few

      I'm not sure that what we "know" is what happened. During combat,
      few people check details like time or try to determine where they are
      in the woods, fileds or hills. The majority are trying to stay alive
      while trying to kill someone. After it is all over, in sime cases
      years later, they "remember" these details for histories.

      While not Antietam, Oliver Norton's "Attack and Defense of Little
      Round Top" is the best example of how history is made that I know of.
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic