5116Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Carman

    Oct 3, 2008
      Priest insists the famous episode of Longstreet's staff manning the guns of the Washington Artillery happened along the Harpers Ferry Road during the IX Corps attack. Several sources, including the OR's make it clear it was in the edge of the Piper Orchard behind Sunken Road. I call that "major." There are other similar errors.

      >>> "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@...> 10/03/08 12:21 PM >>>
      >
      > James;
      >
      > While Priest's books are readable they do have errors in them. I
      > have knowledge of at least a couple instances in the footnotes
      > where the wrong and totally unrelated source is quoted and also
      > where the information is just simply wrong.
      >
      > The maps in the Before Antietam book are not properly drawn to
      > scale. For the Antietam book, I am sure he could have received
      > permission to use the Carmen/Cope maps rather than having his own
      > made.

      ISTM that all books have errors in them, I've yet to find someone that
      isn't upset about something. A few years ago, I looked into the errors
      in Priest's book on Antietam. I don't recall finding anything that
      should be classed as major. The worst error is in his South Mt. book
      and involves a footnote citing Nolan's Iron Brigade book. The Preist
      books are very readable.

      IMO, nothing but the Bible should be taken as gospel.
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic