5105RE: [TalkAntietam] Interesting discovery re Mac at Antietam

  • Dave
    Sep 30, 2008
      You are correct, I read it wrong. He was to get Mansfield's BG commission.
      Here is the wording from the OR:

      As a slight expression of what I think you merit, I have requested that the
      brigadier-general's commission rendered vacant by Mansfield's death may be
      given to you. I will this evening write a private note to the President on
      the subject, and I am glad to assure you that, so far as I can learn, it is
      the universal feeling of the army that you are the most deserving in it.

      Did they only have so many BG slots to go around? Wouldn't every corps
      commander be a BG or higher?

      Dave

      _____