5102Interesting discovery re Mac at Antietam

    Sep 30, 2008
      Gang,

      While re reading Joe Harsh's Taken at the Flood (TATF), page 453,
      about the battle of Antietam, I came across the following very
      interesting note about Mac immediately after the battle,
      specifically September 18-21 period:

      "Lee's precipitous retreat indicated to McClellan that the
      Federal attacks on the 17th--the effects of which had been in
      doubt--had indeed crippled the Confederate army. "Our victory was
      complete," he telegraphed to Halleck. "The enemy is driven back
      into Virginia."(70) Too ill to mount a horse, the Federal
      commander climbed into an ambulance and rode through Sharpsburg
      and toward the Potomac to reconnoiter. During his hour's ride he
      confronted the critical question of how he would respond to Lee's
      withdrawal."

      The sentence in bold face is the sentence that caught me by
      surprise. This makes me wonder what Mac's health was on September
      17th. Also, was the illness a recurrence of the typhoid fever
      which laid him lower on at least two or three earlier occasions
      in 1862?

      Any thoughts, comments, &c???