5073Sept 20th River Fording Instructions from Tom Clemens

  • edunleavy921
    Sep 19, 2008
      All: These are the instructions we received from Tom earlier this
      week.

      Shepherdstown Ford Wading and Battlefield Tour

      We will meet at the Visitor's Center at Antietam at 2:30 p.m. on
      Saturday Sept. 20. We will then carpool as much as possible to
      Shepherdstown Ford on Canal Road. Leaving cars there we will wade
      the Potomac River at the ford, meet Ed Dunleavy, Shepherdstown
      battlefield Preservation Association and take a path up the bluffs to
      the area north of Trough (Charlestown) Road near the scene of the
      heaviest fighting on September 20 1862. This area is private
      property and not usually open to public view, so this is a specials
      treat. After walking the length of the field to see where the first
      skirmishing took place we'll go to Ed & Carol's home where they will
      serve a great cookout, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc with soft drinks
      beer & wine. Then SBPA members will drive us back to our cars at
      Canal Road or the Visitor's Center at Antietam.

      Some practical advice: wear water shoes, or sandals, something on
      your feet to cross the river. There are sharps rocks, discarded cans
      and bottles, don't go barefoot. If you wear shorts or a bathing suit
      to wade the river carry a pair of long trousers in a plastic bag so
      that the trail and walk doesn't get your legs scratched. Some bug
      spray may not be a bad idea either. Don't take anything into the
      water that you cannot get wet. It is a slippery walk.

      If it rainy or a recent rain has the river at flood stage, (unlikely
      from weather forecasts right now) we will have to cancel. We'll use
      email to notify you if that occurs, but you can always call me at 301-
      33-13877 for last minute updates.

      As for payment, all participants should either send a check to SBPA,
      P.O. Box 3359, Shepherdstown,WV 25443 ,
      or use PayPal on the website; www.battleofshepherdstown.org

      If all else fails, bring a check or cash with you, $25 per/person.
      Thanks, and I look forward to seeing you at this unique and exciting
      event.