4974Re:Crossing the river at Shepherdstown

    Aug 28, 2008
      Ian,

      Thank you for this excellent info!

      In addition to personally looking at this part of the river for a
      long time, did you have any written references which talked about
      these various fords? Have you written anything about them?

      In your response, did you mean "dam" versus "bridge" at the mill
      talking about the 118th PA? I didn't know that there was a bridge at
      the cement mill.

      I hope to learn more from you at the crossing event--maybe you will
      have time to show us some of these other fords?

      Thank you,
      Larry Freiheit

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Workman" <cwdigger@...>
      wrote:

      > For eigth conn,
      >
      > All of the fords in that general area (near the cement mill) have
      several
      > different names. However, they are only one ford. Blackford's ford
      isn't near
      > the train bridge as some websites show. It was much farther
      downstream.
      > There were two ferries above the train bridge and above the stone
      bridge
      > piers. Those stone bridge piers were from the 1850's bridge. Henry
      Kyd
      > Douglas's father built the bridge and Henry Kyd Douglass helped
      burn it down
      > in the beginning of the war.
      >
      > The Fords:
      > The main ford is about 150 yards below the cement mill. Below that
      there was
      > a cavalry ford. Further on down the river is what is called pack
      horse ford.
      > This is the ford that was used by A.P. Hill's men when they made
      the great
      > march from Harper's Ferry. Below that there is another ford below
      the mouth
      > of the Antietam creek. The bridge that was at the mill was used as a
      > crossing by the retreating 118th Pa. They all came off the cliffs
      in a few
      > spots and ran in two different directions. There are about three
      lines of
      > crossing above the dam. Above Shepherdstown there are about three
      more
      > fords. The one that stuart crossed is about 1.75 miles upstream.
      There were
      > two more above that before you get to dam no. 4. The ford at
      Williamsport
      > butts right up to where the ferry was. It is still there but under
      about 6
      > more feet of water than it was during the war.
      >
      > Ian Workman
      >

      > On 8/26/08, David Clugh <thirdpaclugh@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Well, I have lurked long enough on this topic. I feel excited
      for you
      > > all just reading of the "crossing event" upcoming on the 20th.
      Unfortunately