4973Re: [TalkAntietam] Re:Crossing the river at Shepherdstown

  • Ian Workman
    Aug 27, 2008
      For eigth conn,

      All of the fords in that general area (near the cement mill) have several
      different names. However, they are only one ford. Blackford's for isn't near
      the train bridge as some websites show. It was much farther downstream.
      There were two ferries above the train bridge and above the stone bridge
      piers. Those stone bridge piers were from the 1850's bridge. Henry Kyd
      Douglas's father built the bridge and Henry Kyd Douglass helped burn it down
      in the beginning of the war.

      The Fords:
      The main ford is about 150 yards below the cement mill. Below that there was
      a cavalry ford. Further on down the river is what is called pack horse ford.
      This is the ford that was used by A.P. Hill's men when they made the great
      march from Harper's Ferry. Below that there is another ford below the mouth
      of the Antietam creek. The bridge that was at the mill was used as a
      crossing by the retreating 118th Pa. They all came off the cliffs in a few
      spots and ran in two different directions. There are about three lines of
      crossing above the dam. Above Shepherdstown there are about three more
      fords. The one that stuart crossed is about 1.75 miles upstream. There were
      two more above that before you get to dam no. 4. The ford at Williamsport
      butts right up to where the ferry was. It is still there but under about 6
      more feet of water than it was during the war.

      Ian Workman