4930Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: re Headquarters questions, etc.

    Aug 8, 2008
      Larry,

      What you say makes perfect sense and ties in with everything I
      have read.

      It is a fact that Jackson and Stuart very often worked closely
      together. It would not surprise me that Stuart had "verbal"
      orders from Jackson to do precisely as you say or that the both
      of them had reviewed the sector where Jackson was posted and came
      to an agreement respecting division of forces.

      IIRC the term "corps" was being used rather loosely at the time
      and was pretty much understood as such, even though officially
      both Jackson and Longstreet commanded Wings of the Army of
      Northern Va. R E Lee was indeed considering how to effectively
      delegate control of portions of his army to senior lieutenants.
      If anything, the experience of The Seven Days taught him it is
      much easier to have a handful of trusted subordinated reporting
      directly to him rather than a dozen!