4928Re: re Headquarters questions, etc.

    Aug 8, 2008

      Fortunately I have all three of Dr. Harsh's books with a pristine
      duplicate copy of "Taken at the Flood" signed by him since my
      original is marked up. I do see in von Borcke's book (160-1) that
      Jackson put Stuart in charge of the "left wing" of his corps even
      though there were no official Rebel "corps" then. But von Borcke is
      sometimes somewhat fast and loose with facts.

      Robert E. L. Krick says that Jackson and Stuart must have worked out
      some arrangement re the defense of the left flank since Jackson never
      visited Nicodemus Heights ("Defending Lee's Flank: J.E.B. Stuart,
      John Pelham, and COnfederate Artillery on Nicodemus Heights," in "The
      Antietam Campaign, ed. Gary W. Gallagher, pp. 201, 207-8, 217, n. 11.
      Compare also Priest, Antietam, 30, 33, 59, 89; Blackford, 149-150;
      Murfin, 235; Carman, 220, 221, 303.

      It is likely that Jackson verbally put Stuart in some sort of command
      since his troopers were on Jackson's left and also Stuart with his
      horse artillery with other artillery were on Nicodemus Hill then
      Hauser's Ridge. I will go with the above in the absence of harder
      evidence.

      Thank you,