489Re: [TalkAntietam] Help needed

  • Oliver Gamble
    Jan 21, 2002

      Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 11:44 AM
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] Help needed

      Dear Group,

      Source for a quotation from Napoleon Bonaparte: When King Jossph wrote to
      Napoleon that he could not ascertain the position and strength of the enemy
      army, Napoleon replied "Why don't you attack him and find out?"

      I THINK you might find it in Jomoni's book "The Art Of War". I seem to recall the quote was used to describe Napoleon's methods and use of sarcasm at times to prod allies and subordinates.
      I know he used that method during Waterloo when told that Gouchey was slow because the roads were muddy he replied "Tell him the roads are muddy for everyone"

      O.G.
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic