4829Re: [TalkAntietam] Captain Samuel P. Dick 9 PA Reserves

    Jun 28, 2008
      Wow, I have seen a few of these letters since some people simply wrote responses on the bottom of the original letter and sent them back. It seems odd that Dick did not respond, so maybe there are missing letters, etc. I'll keep an eye out for it. Is it possible to get a photocopy of this letter? I'd like to include it in directory of Carman letters. Of course I'll credit your collection, etc. There is a letter to Carman from Twiggs describing his wounding and capture, so Scott is very happy.

      >>> Stephen Recker <recker@...> 06/27/08 8:46 AM >>>
      Tom,

      Here is the letter Carman sent to Dick in 1897. I'd love to find the
      response. Thanks.

      http://www.virtualantietam.com/dan_transfer/carman.jpg

      Scott Hann tells me that Pvt. Samuel Johnson on the 9th PA Reserves
      captured the flag of the 1st Texas and won the Medal of Honor for his
      trouble. He says they also captured another flag, but doesn't know
      which one that is.

      Cheers,
      Stephen