4741Re: Kentucky Rfiles used in the battle of Sharpsburg

  • Scott Hann
    Jun 3 11:01 AM
      Dear Gerry,

      Perhaps I'm using the wrong nomenclature. I've seen references to
      "Country Rifles", and the fact that they fired a "picket bullet", but,
      as yet, have never seen a photograph of such weapon. Could it be the
      readily available Kentucky Rifle they're talking about? I have in my
      collection a Country Rifle bullet mold recovered near Dunker Church,
      and saw a similar mold with Antietam provenance on display at Heritage
      Day in Sharpsburg.

      I quickly skimmed through Dean Thomas' "Ready ... Aim ... Fire! Small
      Arm Ammunition in the Battle of Gettysburg" and found that .69 shotgun
      slugs have been recovered from the Gettysburg Battlefield, but it's
      unclear whether they were used by a smoothbore musket or shotgun.
      Apparently it could be fired by both.

      As for the "Rohrbach Barn", your guess is as good as mine. I know
      about the substantial barn on the Henry Rohrbach Farm, but don't know
      if one existed on the Noah Rohrbach property. These are the only two
      Rohrbach's that I know of.

      Scott

      > Dear Scott,
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Use of smoothbore weapons...like the M1842 Springfield...is well
      > documented for both sides at Antietam. However, the Harpers
      > Weekly issue might be talking about Kentucky troops in the
      > Western theater.
      >
      > To my knowledge I have never heard of any KY rifle use at
      > Sharpsburg during the battle but maybe Tom Clemens knows. As to
      > the shotgun...that would be a most unusual weapon for an
      > infantryman to carry... I would understand cavalry, especially
      > Confederate cavalry.
      >
      > Rhorbach Barn...question then becomes which Rohrbach farm?

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic