4740Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Kentucky Rfiles used in the battle of Sharpsburg

    Jun 2, 2008
      Dear Scott,

      Thanks.

      Use of smoothbore weapons...like the M1842 Springfield...is well
      documented for both sides at Antietam. However, the Harpers
      Weekly issue might be talking about Kentucky troops in the
      Western theater.

      To my knowledge I have never heard of any KY rifle use at
      Sharpsburg during the battle but maybe Tom Clemens knows. As to
      the shotgun...that would be a most unusual weapon for an
      infantryman to carry... I would understand cavalry, especially
      Confederate cavalry.

      Rhorbach Barn...question then becomes which Rohrbach farm?