473Re: [TalkAntietam] Little Known Places at Antietam

  • Tom Clemens
    Jan 18, 2002
      Tom Shay,
      We're pretty close. Why we chose the closer location was:
      1. Lee was on the hill all day and I don't think he traveled very far up the
      ridge.
      2. The full account mentions the shell continued down the hill and struck in the
      ranks of NC regiment and killed a few men. The regiment was described as resting
      on the outskirts of the town. So if you go too far up the ridge the trajectoy
      from Weed's guns on the Ecker farm takes you awy from town not towards it.
      3. Another source said about 75 yards north of the turnpike.

      This is all from memory, so be generous with you criticism.
      Tom