4659Re: Fords: Botelers, Blackford, Packhorse

    Apr 27, 2008
      Thanks Stephen,

      I know most books say that these names (and others) are all for the
      same ford at the cement mill but at this point I remain unconvinced
      that there is only one useable ford in the Sheperdstown area since
      both Stuart and Hampton apparently used other fords on the 18th-19th.
      I saw in Dennis's book that statement on page 64. As we know, when
      the river is low, one may cross at many points but walking across is
      different than taking horses and wagons along.

      > In Dennis Frye's book he says they are all the same ford. IIRC it
      was
      > called different things depending on which side of the river you
      were
      > on or during which historic period.
      >
      > Stephen
      >

      > On Sunday, April 27, 2008, at 10:05 AM, eighth_conn_inf wrote:
      >
      > > I have a Potomac River map from GMCO Pro Series of the Upper
      Potomac
      > > River from Dam 4 to Great Falls. Its Shepherdstown section shows
      two
      > > fords, one called "Blackford Ford" at the Rumsey Bridge and the
      second
      > > named "Packhorse Ford" about 6,000' (1 mi. +) below the Rumsey
      Bridge.
      > > It also shows an "Old Cement Mill" about 11,000' (c. 2 mi.) below
      the
      > > bridge across the Potomac from Millers Sawmill Road.
      > >
      > > Were there three fords there in use in 1862: Blackfords at the
      bridge,
      > > Packhorse a mile downstream and Botelers three miles downstream?
      Or is