4613Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Bees in the Bloody Lane

  • (no author)
    Apr 9, 2008
      Yes, and hardly anybody knew about it. I dropped by on Sunday and was stunned when John Hoptak told me Vince had been there the day before.
      SHAF is looking at holding a mini-conference where Vince will speak and lead a tour on the field. If it happens, believe me, we will publicize it!

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      >>> <RoteBaron@...> 4/9/2008 3:30 PM >>>

      The newspaper said Mr. Armstrong was at Antietam for a booksigning last Saturday.

      His new "Unfurl Those Colors" is certainly required reading for Antietam fans. I only wish there were similar books for the other corps to such detailed treatment!

      From: "Thomas Clemens" <clemenst@...>
      Larry,
      He already has the degree, but I cannot recall where he got it. He lives in TN and adjuncts at several school there.

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 4/9/2008 9:30 AM >>>

      Could anyone reveal which institution Mr. Armstrong is attending for
      his PhD?

      > Vince can answer this himself when you see him, but I know the book
      is an expansion of his doctoral dissertation, and a lot of
      professors, although not all, :-), don't know that stuff.

      > Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      > Gerry,
      >
      > I'm reading Armstrong's book now, but am only at AOP's arrival at
      Frederick.

      > I am not sure why Chapter 2 (Corps d'Armee) belongs in a study of
      the II Corps. It is essentially a basic review of CW armaments,
      formations, and tactics. Perhaps some of this infomation will offer
      insight (in later chapters) regarding the experiences of Sumner's
      units on the battlefield.

      > As an avid student of II Corps at Antietam, I've given battlewalks
      of each of those divisions' attacks and welcome the additional
      material in this book. The author provides exceptional detail on the
      II Corps' units, leaders, and their routes of march as they move thru
      Maryland .