4597[TalkAntietam] Re: Col. Benjamin Davis near Sharpsburg on 9/14

    Apr 2 1:04 PM
      I am familiar with Carman's account and the letters, reports, etc. he used to write that passage. Murfin used Carman as his source on this. I am also familiar with how far it is from Solomon's Gap to What is essentially today Sample's Manor and that is a hell of a distance to picket with 300 men. Given the reductions for picket reserves, those supporting Hart's guns and the signal detachment on Elk Ridge, it doesn't leave a lot of guys to stretch that distance. Dennis Frye, who knows the MD Campaign quite well and grew up in Pleasant Valley, finds this passage hard to accept. Yet Carman's sources say it happened, and he takes that as gospel. This passage really illustrates the difficulty and ambiguity of dealing with Carman.

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 4/2/2008 2:39 PM >>>

      Steve,

      According to Carman there were pickets from Hampton's Brigade,
      Martin's regiment, the Jeff Davis Legion. Check out Carman (Pierro)
      pp. 124-5. Here is a brief summary:

      The Union column missed a more dangerous encounter with Rebel cavalry
      that morning. When Hampton's Brigade rode from Burkittsville near
      Crampton's Gap on the morning of 14 September, some of it went along
      the east foot of South Mountain to picket roads leading from
      Frederick and Berlin, while two regiments crossed into Pleasant
      Valley to the western side of South Mountain. One of these was the
      Jeff Davis Legion with six guns of Hart's Battery which took up a
      position at Solomon's Gap in Elk Ridge to the north of Harpers Ferry.
      Some of its pickets were those encountered by the Union column at the
      mouth of Antietam Creek near the Potomac about 10 pm that night. Col.
      Martin commanding the regiment decided to retreat to Hagerstown
      believing the McClellan's troops were between Harpers Ferry and
      points north and west. As he retreated, his scouts reported the Union
      column on a roughly parallel track but closer to the Potomac.
      Learning of the identity of the column he began pursuit seeing the
      smoke from the burning wagons in the Unionist's wake. Finding that he
      could not catch them, he turned and crossed into Williamsport. This
      was fortunate for Martin as his 300 troopers would not have been much
      of a match for the Union column.

      Larry

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "cowie_steve" <cowie_steve@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello, Forum.
      >
      > Murfin's GOB, page 153, describes Benjamin Davis's vanguard of
      escapees, the 12th Illinois,
      > as coming into contact with Confederate pickets near the edge of
      the Sharpsburg village
      > around 10:00 p.m. on the evening of 9/14. Murfin's source is
      William Luff of the 12th Illinois,
      > who claims to have been fired upon by CS artillery at this same
      time, as well.

      > After giving Dr. Harsh's TAF a thorough read, I can find little
      evidence to support CS infantry,