4596Re: Col. Benjamin Davis near Sharpsburg on 9/14

  • cowie_steve
    Apr 2, 2008
      Larry,

      Thanks so much for clarifying.

      To refresh, Murfin's GOB, page 153, placed the 10:00 p.m. contact between the escaping
      Federal cavalry column and Confederate pickets "near the edge of Sharpsburg." Carmen's
      placement "at the mouth of Antietam Creek near the Potomac" makes much more sense to
      me.

      Best,

      Steve

      > Steve,
      >
      > According to Carman there were pickets from Hampton's Brigade,
      > Martin's regiment, the Jeff Davis Legion. Check out Carman (Pierro)
      > pp. 124-5. Here is a brief summary:
      >
      > The Union column missed a more dangerous encounter with Rebel cavalry
      > that morning. When Hampton's Brigade rode from Burkittsville near
      > Crampton's Gap on the morning of 14 September, some of it went along
      > the east foot of South Mountain to picket roads leading from
      > Frederick and Berlin, while two regiments crossed into Pleasant
      > Valley to the western side of South Mountain. One of these was the
      > Jeff Davis Legion with six guns of Hart's Battery which took up a
      > position at Solomon's Gap in Elk Ridge to the north of Harpers Ferry.
      > Some of its pickets were those encountered by the Union column at the
      > mouth of Antietam Creek near the Potomac about 10 pm that night. Col.
      > Martin commanding the regiment decided to retreat to Hagerstown
      > believing the McClellan's troops were between Harpers Ferry and
      > points north and west. As he retreated, his scouts reported the Union
      > column on a roughly parallel track but closer to the Potomac.
      > Learning of the identity of the column he began pursuit seeing the
      > smoke from the burning wagons in the Unionist's wake. Finding that he
      > could not catch them, he turned and crossed into Williamsport. This
      > was fortunate for Martin as his 300 troopers would not have been much
      > of a match for the Union column.
      >
      > Larry
      >
      > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "cowie_steve" <cowie_steve@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello, Forum.
      > >
      > > Murfin's GOB, page 153, describes Benjamin Davis's vanguard of
      > escapees, the 12th Illinois,
      > > as coming into contact with Confederate pickets near the edge of
      > the Sharpsburg village
      > > around 10:00 p.m. on the evening of 9/14. Murfin's source is
      > William Luff of the 12th Illinois,
      > > who claims to have been fired upon by CS artillery at this same
      > time, as well.
      > >
      > > After giving Dr. Harsh's TAF a thorough read, I can find little
      > evidence to support CS infantry,
      > > cavalry or artillery from the day's mountain gap battles being near
      > the edge of Sharpsburg at
      > > 10:00 p.m. on 9/14.
      > >
      > > Could someone please shed some light on this matter?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Steve

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic