4559Re: [TalkAntietam] Regiments Brigaded Together

  • Dean Essig
    Mar 25, 2008
      Thanks Tom... just cross-checking here. The group is a
      wealth of information, if anybody knew, they'd be
      here.

      Both Phelps and Hofmann are strange brigades. Very
      small, plus both of them had one regiment that was "a
      little bigger" which it used as a second element (2
      USSS with Phelps and the 56 Penn with Hofmann).

      --- Thomas Clemens <clemenst@...> wrote:

      > Dean,
      > With the exception you mentioned of some very small
      > Confederate brigades, I don't think there are any
      > other "combined regiments" at Antietam.
      > BTW, some Union brigades were pretty small too,
      > Phelps took no more than 425 men into the fight.
      >

      > Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      > 4:34 PM >>>
      >
      > Hey Guys!
      >
      > Unfurl those Colors makes a point of talking about
      > the delicate nature of regiments
      > combining under one commander (essentially to fight
      > as one regiment) and uses the example
      > of the 61 and 64 NY under Barlow.
      >
      > As such, a lot of this is under the radar, so to
      > speak, is anybody aware of any other such
      > brigaded regiments? On either side? at Antietam.
      >
      > Naturally, some of the Confederate brigades that
      > contained very, very few men would
      > automatically become essentially regiments for drill
      > purposes. That's a different matter than
      > what I'm trying to find.
      >
      > Basically, I'm trying to find regimental pairs that
      > operated under one of the two colonels.
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Dean

      > removed]