4557Re: [TalkAntietam] Regiments Brigaded Together

    Mar 25, 2008
      Dean,
      With the exception you mentioned of some very small Confederate brigades, I don't think there are any other "combined regiments" at Antietam.
      BTW, some Union brigades were pretty small too, Phelps took no more than 425 men into the fight.

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      >>> "dean_essig" <dean_essig@...> 3/24/2008 4:34 PM >>>

      Hey Guys!

      Unfurl those Colors makes a point of talking about the delicate nature of regiments
      combining under one commander (essentially to fight as one regiment) and uses the example
      of the 61 and 64 NY under Barlow.

      As such, a lot of this is under the radar, so to speak, is anybody aware of any other such
      brigaded regiments? On either side? at Antietam.

      Naturally, some of the Confederate brigades that contained very, very few men would
      automatically become essentially regiments for drill purposes. That's a different matter than
      what I'm trying to find.

      Basically, I'm trying to find regimental pairs that operated under one of the two colonels.

      Thanks!

      Dean