451Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: South Mt. purchase

  • Curt Johnson
    Jan 4 3:51 PM
      Hi, Mark,

      Thanks for your comments. I have to tell you, when I sent my initial answer
      to whoever it was that asked the question (never got a response), I checked
      Mike Priest's book for details: therefore, the designation E, Pa. Lt. I
      guess I should've checked my own book (duh!), which gives Independent Bty.
      D. I can confirm your statement that, at the time of the battle, Durell's
      was designated the 2d Indpt. Pa. Bty., having checked my copies of Hunt's
      and Barry's reports and memoranda. I must have adopted the slightly later
      designation for my book, maybe from Cuffel, so thanks for pointing that out.

      If I understand your comments about the location where these folks went into
      battery, you are talking about the yards and fields in the vicinity of the
      site of the Reno Oak. While I don't disagree with that site, there was also
      a site further up the hill and closer to the Reno Monument, where there is a
      shelf on the north side of the road (east of Wise's North Field) that was
      occupied by Federal artillery. It was there that (I think) Cook's Bty. was
      wrecked. All this is off the top of my head.

      Best wishes,
      Curt