4502Re: Telegraph Lines Cut during MD Campaign before 7Sept.? Where?

    Mar 19, 2008
      Harry,
      Lincoln told Little Mac on 12 September that Gov. Curtin telegraphed
      him that "Jackson is crossing the Potomac at Williamsport, and
      probably the whole rebel army will be drawn from Maryland." OR, vol.
      19, pt. II, 270.
      Larry

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...>
      wrote:

      > I've asked this question many times, but have never received an
      answer that satisfied me. Do we have any documentary proof of if or
      when McClellan learned that Jackson was not where SO 191 put him?

      > Harry

      McClellan was in command. He mentions Union columns and some
      commanders,IIRC, but not McClellan. He got most of his info from
      reading newspapers, and perhaps those elusive signalmen that we
      talked about recently.
      > As for McClellan, I think the info about Harpers Ferry came from
      couriers, not telegraph. Offhand, I think the wires were restored to
      Frederick by the 13th when he telegraphed to Halleck, Lincoln, etc.

      > Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      > Here are two questions:
      >
      > If those lines were cut that early, how did Lee know that
      McClellan was in command of the army at and outside Washington - or
      did he know?

      > If those lines were cut that early, how did McClellan know that
      Jackson was at Harper's Ferry instead of Martinsburg as SO 191 said -
      or did he know?

      > Harry

      Cheek's
      > Ford on 4 September or when Jackson/Stuart crossed at White's
      Ford on
      > the 5th.
      >
      > But were there any commercial or military lines at these points
      to be
      > cut? Did the line(s) instead run some other direction(s) to be
      relayed
      > to DC like to Frederick? Of course if they ran along the B&O
      tracks,
      > then they would have been cut on the 4th.
      >
      > If they weren't cut on the 4/5, did HF lose its telegraph to the
      > outside world in any direction before the 7th when Wool said in
      OR,