450Re: South Mt. purchase

  • ringgold61
    Jan 3, 2002
      --- In TalkAntietam@y..., "Curt Johnson" <ccj@w...> wrote:
      > David,
      >
      > Without further details, I would hazard a guess that it is the
      ground occupied by Cook's 8th Mass. Bty., Durell's (E, Pa. Lt.)
      and/or Clark's (E, 4th US), all of which were in action at Fox's Gap
      within 300 meters of the Reno Monument. Details of the combat may be
      found in Priest's _Before Antietam_.

      > Curt Johnson

      Curt,

      I'm sure you are aware that Captain Durell's Battery was Independent
      Battery "D", not "E". Knap's Battery was Independent Battery "E."
      It should be noted that at the time of the Battle, Durell's Battery
      was officially designated as the 2nd Independent Pennsylvania
      Battery. They were also unofficially referred to as the Ringgold
      Battery! The "D" designation was not given to the Battery until
      1863. I suppose it's just easier for historians to use the
      designation that they ended their service with.

      The land where these batteries went into action is about 1/2 mile
      down the hill from the Reno Monument towards the former spot of the
      Reno Oak, and on the right side of the road. You can also see it if
      you walk out onto the field across the road from the monument about
      half way to the wood line and look downhill. You can see an open
      area off to the right with a few houses between it and the road. If
      this is the land that was purchased, it is very good news! I was
      just discussing this parcel with Ranger Al Preston of the Maryland
      Parks Dept. (the folks who run the new South Mountain Battlefield
      State Park) a few months ago and he never mentioned that it had been
      saved. We both held the opinion that it should be a priority site
      for preservation. Then again, we're both rather partial to the
      artillery. ;-)

      Mark A. Pflum
      (researcher of Durell's Battery, P.V.)
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic