4499Re: [TalkAntietam] Telegraph Lines Cut during MD Campaign before 7 Sept.? Where?

    Mar 19, 2008
      As late as Sept. 9th Lee gave no indication that he knew McClellan was in command. He mentions Union columns and some commanders,IIRC, but not McClellan. He got most of his info from reading newspapers, and perhaps those elusive signalmen that we talked about recently.
      As for McClellan, I think the info about Harpers Ferry came from couriers, not telegraph. Offhand, I think the wires were restored to Frederick by the 13th when he telegraphed to Halleck, Lincoln, etc.

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      >>> "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> 3/19/2008 11:06 AM >>>

      Here are two questions:

      If those lines were cut that early, how did Lee know that McClellan was in command of the army at and outside Washington - or did he know?

      If those lines were cut that early, how did McClellan know that Jackson was at Harper's Ferry instead of Martinsburg as SO 191 said - or did he know?

      Harry