4458Re: CS Signal Corps in the Maryland Campaign

    Mar 14, 2008
      Dave,

      I just noticed a passage in Freeman's "R. E. Lee" vol. 2 pg. 331:"
      Lee turned to his signal officer, Captain J. L. Bartlett, who had
      established his station near headquarters, and had him flag to
      Jackson...." also found in OR, vol. 12, pt. II, 562-3.

      You had mentioned Bartlett in your GM article.

      Larry F.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "flagflop" <dwgaddy@...> wrote:

      > To all concerned: Pardon the mess I hope I've straightened out.
      with
      > my long inability to post on the group, and indulge me, please, by
      > returning to Dr. Tom's 19 Feb "Favor" and subsequent responses by
      > Harry, Larry F., GE Mayers (at least) and allowing some comments
      and
      > re-affirmations. I've been involved in the Sugar Loaf inquiry
      (direct
      > correspondence), but just caught up with the related postings here.
      >
      > May I also refer you (if you have access) to my "Confederate Signal
      > Corps at Gettysburg" in "Gettysburg" magazine Number Four (1 Jan
      > 1991), cited in Bobby Krick's "Staff Officers in Gray." There is no
      > record that Lee had a Chief Signal Officer (CSO) on his staff, to
      > best of my knowledge. As required, he used corps signal officer, of
      > whom several are identified. During the Maryland campaign of Fall,
      > 1862, two of the (later) corps-level SigO's were hors de combat --
      > Capt. Wilbourn (Jackson) from wound during Second Manassas, forcing
      > Jackson to employ a signalman who was detailed; and Capt. Manning
      > (Longstreet) from a painful infection, making McLaws depend on an
      > instructed staff officer. Capt. Randolph was probably with Harvey
      > Hill on South Mountain and Capt. Frayser (replacing Capt Stuart,
      KIA
      > at Second Manassas) with Stuart. Generally speaking, each SigO had
      > SigSgt as tech asst, some of which acted as local "officers" in
      > charge, aka warrant officers.
      >
      > The SigCorps as authorized in Apr/May 62 had only Capts and Sgts.
      > Lieutenants were added in Sep/Oct expansion, as were add'l Sgts --
      > total of only 61 billets, with Capt Norris promoted to Maj and
      Chief
      > of the SigC.
      >
      > As noted in the postings, Norris generally remained in Richmond
      (but
      > did sally forth to meet the "victorious" army returning from
      > Maryland, his home state) and was away nearly nine months because
      of
      > falling out with SecWar, leaving Capt Barker the officer-in-charge.
      >
      > "Secret Service" activity in the field was not part of the SigO's
      job
      > description -- that was a Richmond "back room operation" and
      attached
      > people were seldom regular signalmen. (The exceptions continue to
      be
      > interesting, but I don't want to leave the mounting impression that
      > all CS sig officers were engaged in covert ops.)
      >
      > Dave Gaddy
      >
      > I hope this will be useful as we study the full Maryland campaign.
      >
      > The reported occupation of Sugar Loaf by CS signalmen (presumably
      > from Stuart?) o/a 6/7 Sep until 11 Sep appears now to have been
      > confirmed, and I appreciate see the citations.

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic