4285Re: Regimental numbers during the Maryland Campaign

    Feb 13, 2008
      Thanks Dean,

      The total cav numbers in Carman, OR, etc., are good but unit numbers
      are lacking. It is unlikely I can research unit numbers at NARA so I
      might have to come up with some estimates like Harsh did in STS page
      191-192.

      I have the CW Equipage book on the way so I can reference weapons.

      Cannon types/numbers are around but as you point out are incomplete
      in some areas but I will use Trout, "Galloping Thunder" and
      Johnson, "Artillery Hell" as follows: Trout, 8. At the Battle of
      Antietam on 17 September, only Pelham's Battery was engaged with two,
      three inch ordnance rifles; one, twelve pound Napoleon, and five
      unidentified guns. It abandoned its howitzers for Ordnance rifles
      captured on 27 August 1862 at Manassas Junction. Hart's Battery had
      four, twelve pound Blakeley guns and Chew's Battery had two or three,
      three inch Ordnance rifles, one Blakely Rifle and one, twelve pound
      smoothbore howitzer, Curt Johnson and Richard C. Anderson, Jr.,
      Artillery Hell: The Employment of Artillery at Antietam, (College
      Station, TX: Texas A&M University Press, 1995), 100-101. Union horse
      artillery, Second U. S. Battery A, had six, twelve pound smooth bore
      Napoleons, Second U. S. Batteries B and L had four, twelve pound
      smooth bore Napoleons, and Battery M of the Second had six, three
      inch Ordnance rifles. Batteries C and G of the Third U. S. Artillery
      had six, three inch Ordnance rifles, Johnson, 35.

      Thanks,
      Larry

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Dean Essig <dean_essig@...>