4284Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Regimental numbers during the Maryland Campaign

  • Dean Essig
    Feb 12, 2008
      Cav numbers are pretty sketchy. Priest gives 4320 for
      the division. The park had nothing. So, my cav numbers
      are estimates at best... if you have anything harder,
      I'd love to see them.

      For weapons, (all data from Todd):
      8 Ill, 3 Ind, 4 Penn, 1 NY, 12 Penn, 8 NY, 3 Penn, 1
      Maine all with Carbines of various types

      1 Mass, 15 Penn are armed with pistols.

      (I listed all of the ones I had data on, it obviously
      includes some units that weren't in the battle.)

      The horse artillery is easier:

      A, 2 US--6x Napoleons
      B&L, 2 US--4x Napoleons
      M, 2 US--6x Rifles
      C&G, 3 US--6x Rifles

      These are all from the Paul Chiles B&G article.

      I have a scattering of weapon data for the various HQ
      guard units.

      The Rebel information is about the same level.

      4500 total for the Cav division (Carmen)

      1 NC, 1 VA, 3 VA, 4 VA, 5 VA, 2 VA, 12 VA with pistols

      2 NC, 7 VA, Cobb Legion with rifles (2 NC also listed
      for pistols)

      Batteries (info from Anderson):
      Hart SC (4x rifles w/o ammo at Boteler's Ford)
      Pelham (8x guns, two 4-gun sections, various gun types
      nothing firm)
      Chew Va 3x Rifles, 1x Napoleon

      (There is a story to go with the Napoleon in Chew's
      Battery... something along the lines of they had it
      for a period of the war but found it to be too heavy
      to keep up with the cavalry and eventually (before
      Gettysburg?) got rid of it.)

      Hope that helps.

      --- eighth_conn_inf <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:

      > Dean,
      > Thanks very much for this info! The units I'm
      > looking for are all cav
      > units on both sides and horse artillery. My paper is
      > on cav during
      > the Maryland Campaign.
      > Larry

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?