4254Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Sharpesburg Hospitals

    Feb 6, 2008
      You're welcome Steve, and please call me Tom. I only use the "Dr.
      Clemens" professionally or if I really don't like somebody. :-) It is
      just the automatic signature on my email.

      >>> "cowie_steve" <cowie_steve@...> 02/06/08 10:57 AM >>>

      To answer your question about which Sharpsburg area hospitals were still
      in operation in
      November 1862, the excerpt from Ernst's TATC below indicates that the
      Hospital was still in operation on November 10th. Also, I took a private
      hospital tour with
      John Schildt this past September--IIRC, Keedysville's Locust Spring
      Hospital on the
      Geeting Farm was also in operation at this time and didn't close until

      Also, thank you, Dr. Clemens, for plugging John Nelson's CD. I have his
      Sharpsburg village
      hospital "walking tour" booklet, but do not own his CD-ROM. Time to go
      shopping on the
      SHAF website!

      Paula--here's the excerpt from Kathleen's book:

      On November 10th, a volunteer from Maine named Isabella Morrison Fogg
      arrived in the
      Sharpsburg area to inspect the condition of hospitals. She described the
      conditions at the Smoketown Hospital as follows: "…in the midst of a
      driving snowstorm…the poor fellows
      huddled together, with their pallets of straw on the ground, their tents
      connected by
      flyes…many without walls and no stoves. Those who were able to creep out
      of their tents
      were crouched over fires, built in the woods, their heads covered with
      snow. And all I may
      say, almost without exception with thin muslin shirts on. The misery and
      suffering beggars
      all description, the heart sickens at the sight."

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, 128thpa@... wrote:
      > Is there a list somewhere or a book that someone can direct me to that
      would list the
      Union hospitals that existed after the battle? I have been doing some
      research for a class
      I teach "Women in the Civil War" and tonight at a historical society I
      came across a letter
      written by Anna Holstein ( who I have a lot of info on, so I am not
      specifically researching
      her at this point as much as her 1st person descriptions) and it is from
      Hospital", dated 11/11/1862. In it she states that most of the sick had
      been moved to
      Frederick and she was no longer needed in Sharpesburg and would be
      leaving for home
      soon. I am trying to determine the exact location where she nursed.