4245Re: Sharpesburg Hospitals

    Feb 6 2:12 PM
      Paula,

      "Cooper Union" and "Cooper Institute" functionally mean the place
      where Lincoln spoke. Technically, according to Holzer in "Lincoln at
      Cooper Union" on page 6, Cooper Institute was the name of a group at
      Cooper Union which organized public programs at Cooper Union. Lincoln
      did not lecture for that institute but for an independent political
      organization which rented the Great Hall for the evening.

      Larry F.
      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, 128thpa@... wrote:

      > HI Tom, I already heard from John who was having problems posting
      here. I will order the CD just to have. John gave me some ideas of
      where Holstein served. I think I have enough for now. The class
      begins on the 28th of this month.

      > They also had a letter there signed by Susan B. Anthony - that was
      so cool. It stated she was writing from the Cooper Institute in NY.
      Would that be the same as the Cooper Union, of Lincoln speech fame?

      > Thanks,
      > Paula

      > From: "Thomas Clemens" <clemenst@...>
      > Paula,
      > Perhaps the best source is John Nelson's "As Grain Before the
      Reaper" which is available on CD-ROM only, and has a chapter
      detailing where each hospital was located, etc. I have it at home and
      can look at it tonight if you're in a hurry. It is also available for
      sale through SHAF's website, andif you'll excuse a direct commercial
      plug!

      > Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      > Thanks Harry - I will definitely check these out - does anyone have
      any ideas what hospital was still around in November, 1862?