4242Re: [TalkAntietam] 6 Wisconsin vs Texans?

  • Dean Essig
    Feb 6, 2008

      While true, it doesn't address the basic question: did
      the 6 Wisc withdraw (or begin to withdraw) before the
      Texans slammed into the cornfield, or were they
      steamrolled _by_ them.

      I'm trying to figure out _who_ the Texans had to drive
      through on the way to the muzzles of those guns... who
      was still an organized unit in the cornfield at that
      point. Or, was there no real formed units there and
      they mopped up some stragglers on their way north?

      Dean

      --- G E Mayers <gerry1952@...> wrote:

      > Dear Dean,
      >
      > Good question!
      >
      > I think Gibbon's brigade, if you follow the advance
      > (BTW I
      > recommend Scott Mingus Sr's book Undying Courage...a
      > wargaming
      > book about Antietam....), had multiple "adversaries"
      > to deal with
      > up to the time they finally withdrew.
      >
      > I think the cumulative effect of all the CSA
      > counterattacks and
      > losses is what made the survivors of the brigade,
      > including the
      > Sixth Wisconsin, pull back.

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic