4217RE: 17th Michigan numbers

  • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
    Feb 4, 2008
      Jake and Dean,
      Swift was there and I was not, but I would like to check further as to when and from where Carman got the Swift information.
      I have some Swift material in my files, but not from the fall of 1862.
      If I was to guess about the difference, I would want to confirm that all of Company A returned from Frederick by 17 September, the number of soldiers left behind in Washington and the impact of the fighting on the 14th (perhaps some men were still at Fox's Gap burying the dead or doing provost duty). If Swift was relying on memory too many years after the fact, that may also be a factor.
      (PS Gerry, snip those posts)